Is There a Tougher Penalty for A High BAC in Colorado?
Blood alcohol content (BAC) levels can be the basis for elevating the charges or imposing harsher penalties in DUI cases. Specifically, the BAC can impact:
- Whether DWAI or DUI charges are filed: If BACs are between 0.05 and 0.08, the lesser DWAI charges can be filed. At BACs of 0.08 or more, DUI charges will generally be the go-to option for police and prosecutors.
- Whether a motorist is classified as a “persistent drunk driver” (PDD): Drivers with a record of DUI convictions or those who get a first-time DUI and have a BAC of 0.15 or greater can be designated as PDDs. If they are, they can be subject to harsher penalties upon conviction.
Here, it’s important to note that these BACs only apply to motorists who are 21 and older. Colorado has a zero-tolerance policy for underage drinking and driving. That means that charges for underage DUIs can come into play with very low BACs, like those under 0.05.
How Much Does a DUI Cost in Parker?
The cost of getting a DUI in Parker will depend on various factors, like (but not exclusive to) the nature and severity of the charges. While the precise cost of a Parker, CO, DUI can vary from case to case. In general:
- A first-time DUI conviction will cost about $13,530: This includes court fines, probation supervision fees, restitution, and more. It assumes a simple DUI case, so any aggravating factors (like an accident or injuries) would likely elevate these costs for a first-time DUI in Colorado.
- Colorado DUI costs have been rising sharply: Over the past five years, DUI costs in Colorado have increased by more than 30%, according to data from the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT). Many expect these costs to continue rising in the coming years as state authorities continue to focus on deterring drunk driving.
Beyond the financial costs of a DUI conviction, there can be other costs, like damage to your reputation, lost earnings from having to miss work, and/or damage to your career. The best way to mitigate and minimize the costs of a DUI in Colorado is to retain an experienced defense lawyer who can help you fight the charges and seek the best outcomes possible. Depending on the charges and circumstances involved, it may be possible to:
- Get certain evidence thrown out of court
- Weaken the prosecutor’s case
- Demonstrate your rights were violated
How Many Points Is a DUI in Colorado?
Like DUI costs and penalties, the points added to a driver’s record after a DUI conviction depend on the charges in a case and whether an individual has prior offenses. Points can also be added for refusals to submit to chemical testing during a DUI stop due to the Colorado express consent law. The table below shows the number of points for different types of DUI offenses in Colorado.
|3rd (or subsequent) Refusal
|2nd or 3rd DWAI
|2nd or 3rd DUI
Can I Get a DUI Expunged?
DUI expungement can be possible in Colorado, as long as certain conditions apply. Specifically, it can be possible to get a DUI expunged from a criminal record in Colorado IF:
- A DUI arrest did not result in DUI charges being filed.
- DUI charges were dismissed, or the case ended in an acquittal.
- At least 10 years have passed since the prior DUI, and the individual has not incurred any new criminal charges or convictions during that time.
To pursue an expungement in Colorado, specific steps need to be taken, and the case will need to be presented before the court. This is where an experienced lawyer can be invaluable, setting up the case for success.
Fight DUI Charges with the Help of an Experienced Parker DUI Attorney
The Law Office of Lori Crystal, LLC understands the fear, uncertainty, and stress you feel after a DUI arrest because we have helped many people through the same situation. We know what’s ahead, and Douglas County DUI Attorney Lori Crystal can help you obtain a just result.
Call or email our firm for a confidential, no-obligation consultation.
Strategic and well-respected in Parker and throughout Douglas County, we are the partners you can trust what it’s time to stand up to DUI charges and protect what matters the most. We have extensive experience in a range of DUI cases, and we have a record of securing favorable resolutions in them. Discover the difference our team can make by contacting the Law Office of Lori Crystal, LLC for your consultation.